Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rendering 1- Assignment 1






Single Object- Render a small non-reflective object using a full range of graphite pencils and smooth shading. The object should look as if it is being lit by a single light source directly in front of it. Due Wednesday, February 4.
This assignment I chose to draw a small wooden elephant that belongs to my wife. This assignment, in general, was more demanding than I thought. I am use to shading graphite with stomps and my finger, but in this assignment we were to shade only by cross hatching. Cross hatching was a bit foreign to me in the beginning, but after creating a small study (8.5x11") of my object, I started to understand how to get the form and create smoothness by quality of mark. My instructor constantly stressed "purposeful marks". Although the saying became like a broken record, it did force me to look deeper into my drawing and figure out how I can build on it even more. The final piece was done on a 14x17" sheet of Bristol board. This assignment helped me understand cross hatching and the over all study of sketching.
I still feel that the study is not yet complete. I think there can be more contrast between darks, lights and mid tones. When I find the time, I will work some more on this study.

1 comment:

  1. Cross-hatching is the bomb. And please never EVER use your figure again.

    ReplyDelete